Letting go is such a hard thing to do, especially if you are a type A person like me, but it is so necessary and important for your mental health. Today, I am sharing 10 ‘letting go’ tips that have helped me become a better person as well as saving myself from self-destruction.
1. Learning how to stand your ground without having to pick a fight. I have been in situations where I have said my peace with what was bothering me and moving forward without looking back. For example, I had a huge blowout with a family member in the recent weeks. The old me would have continue to argue my point, however, instead I maturely explained my feelings and removed myself from the situation. Not winning every argument can really lead a more positive, healthy life.
2. Don’t be invested in the outcome when it comes to dealing with people, because it often leads to disappointment. Setting high expectations can only harm you in the long run, so instead live in the moment with the people you love and offer a helping hand when needed.
3. Don’t chain yourself down, especially when you have the key to set yourself free. We live with self-limiting beliefs, which we let define who we are. I made the mistake of chaining myself up creatively during my undergraduate years because I wanted to make my dad proud. This only lead to resentment, mental health issues, and not being fulfilled. I have had multiple mental breakdowns since I graduated from college and I couldn’t figure out why. It wasn’t until I realized that I had been chained down my entire life and creatively limited on what I wanted to do as a career. It took me awhile, but I was able to set myself free earlier this year when I truly found my passions through my blog and YouTube channel.
4. Let go of trying to control other people’s actions. All we can really do is control our own actions. Focus less on others and more on yourself. This will help you become the best version of yourself.
5. Leave room for mistakes. We are human and mistakes are likely to happen. Mistakes are only a danger to us if we don’t learn from them.
6. Do What Scares You. If it wasn’t for taking a chance on YouTube and my blog, I wouldn’t be the fearless person I am today. I use to be afraid to pursue my passions because people tend to make fun of them, but the moment I started to be myself and take risks, I have become the happiest person.
7. Allow yourself to feel negative emotions. Bottling up all of your emotions can only do more harm towards you and the people you love. Allowing yourself to feel all emotions can help you better understand yourself and what you need in life.
8. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Sometimes it’s better to brush it off when the end results are not worth the trouble.
9. Accept the things you cannot change, but don’t let it control what you do next.
10. Learn to Forgive. This is a big one for me. It wasn’t until I learned to forgive myself and the people who have hurt me that I truly found closure. Forgiveness have allowed me to move forward and focus more on myself.
Photo Credit: Aperturesque LLC
Thank you for reading and Take Care!